Combodart ™ - What is it?
- Combodart ™ (dutasteride 0.5mg/ tamsulosin hydrochloride 0.4mg) is the first single capsule, fixed-dose combination therapy to be approved in Europe for the treatment of moderate-to-severe symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and is now available for prescription.
- It is also indicated for the reduction in the risk of acute urinary retention (AUR) and BPH-related surgery. [1 ]
- Combodart ™ is the first treatment available in Ireland that combines the benefits of two existing treatments for BPH, which have complementary modes of action. [1 ]
- This dual mode of action therapy uses a 5- alpha reductase inhibitor (5ARI), dutasteride, to reduce the size of the prostate and an alpha-blocker, tamsulosin, to relax the smooth muscle in the prostate and bladder neck. Both actions improve urinary flow. [2 ]
How to take Combodart ™
- The recommended dose of Combodart ™ is one capsule (0.5mg/ 0.4 mg) taken orally approximately 30 minutes after the same meal each day.
- The capsules should be swallowed whole and not chewed or opened.
- Where appropriate, Combodart may be used ti substitute concomitant dutasteride and tamsulosin in existing dual therapy to simplify treatment.
- Where clinically appropriate, direct change from dutasteride or tamsulosin monotherapy to Combodart may be considered.
Combodart ™ - How does it work?
Combodart is a fixed-dose combination therapy of two drugs: dutasteride and tamsulosin. there drugs have complimentary mechanisms of action that rapidly improve symptoms, urinary flow and reduce the risk of acute urinary retention (AUR) and the need for BPH-related surgery.
- Dutasteride belongs to a group of medicines called 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors. [1 ] [2 ]
- Tamsulosin belongs to a group of medicines called alpha blockers.
- Dutasteride lowers production of dihydrotestosterone (DHT), the androgen primarily responsible for prostate growth by inhibiting type 1 and type 2 5-alpha-reductase.
- Suppression of DHT helps to shrink the prostate and relieve urinary symptoms.
- The risks of acute urinary retention and the need for surgery are also reduced. [2 ]
- Tamsulosin acts by relaxing the muscles in your prostate gland, making it easier to pass urine and rapidly improving the symptoms. [2 ]
For further information on Combodart ™ please see the Combodart ™ Summary of Product Characteristics (SPC ). [1 ]
- Combodart Summary of Product Characteristics
- de la Rosette J, Alivizatos G, Madersbacher S et al. Guidelines on Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. European Association of Urology 2008
Combodart™ is a trade mark of the GlaxoSmithKline group of companies.